Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How to maximize your shop space


This is the initial topic I'd like to discuss. My studio started as a medium sized one car garage: 11 foot wide, 11 foot high and 21 foot deep area. There is a 3 foot by 7 foot space in a back corner taken up by 3 steps and a landing into our home's living space.

So the space is rather small for construction of a queen sized walnut bed, a 5 foot long oak sideboards or a framed 18 sq ft stained glass panel to give some examples of larger projects I've made.

I have a feeling that others might be interested in some of the approaches I've used over the last 12 years to maximize my usable space. Others might be able to supply their own space saving tips will allow me to get more then 10 lbs in my 5 lb sack - as the old saying goes.

I'll tackle specific items in posts to follow. For now here is a photo of my studio, from the garage door, as it looks today shows my starting point.


No comments:

Post a Comment